Iceberg lettuce, is one of many of the forgotten vegetables out there. How often do you think about picking up ball of this crunchy lettuce? Probably not often, especially since it sits next to the bins full of fluffy mixed greens. I know for me, it is definitely not often enough. Recently, we were at a restaurant and I spied a Classic Iceberg Wedge Salad on the menu. I started to drool a bit. I was feeling the need to eat something lighter, and this could be perfect even though it was slathered in creamy blue cheese dressing. It was near perfect, except for the hefty $15 price tag for a wedge of iceberg lettuce. At that point, I was beginning to already taste the refreshing crispness between my lips, but the price appalled me. I chose something else and vowed to make it at home for the price of $3.99.
Iceberg lettuce is pretty flavorless; but, it is crisp, refreshing and frankly, fun to eat. It crunches with easy bite, and always tastes fresh. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this vintage treat until I brought a head of it home last week. Besides feeling lighter after enjoying a big bowl of it, I love how the leaves cradle every last drop of creamy blue cheese, it is like having a little present with each bite. A Classic Iceberg Wedge Salad is ridiculously easy to make, so easy that I feel like this is a cop-out recipe! You need iceberg lettuce, creamy blue cheese dressing, bacon crumbles and sweet tomatoes. I nestled wedges of lettuce on a big platter, then drizzled and crumbled the goodness over the top, I loved how elegant the wedge salad looked. This would be the perfect addition to your next spaghetti feed or even an upcoming Superbowl party. Have fun with this classic!
Recipe: Classic Iceberg Wedge Salad
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- creamy blue cheese dressing
- 1/4 pound bacon
- cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- Cut the bacon into small dice.
- Place in a large frying pan and cook on medium low heat until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel, to drain.
- Cut the lettuce into wedges.
- Arrange on a serving platter.
- Drizzle the creamy blue cheese over the top of the wedges.
- Sprinkle the bacon over the top.
- Scatter the tomatoes over the top.