Talking about Tom and Jerry today, and not the mousy kind. I have been wanting to share this vintage holiday cocktail with you for 5 years, and I am just getting around to it. I remember my mother making a big batch of this drink mix every holiday season. It was a sign that Christmas was truly here. The aroma of whipped eggs, nutmeg and rum would fill the kitchen, and I knew good things were just around the corner.
The cocktail base is made with fresh (raw) eggs, so if this bothers you, this is not the cocktail to make. I have to say, I have enjoyed at least one, year holiday season for my entire life, and have yet to get sick. The creamy base is made with eggs, sugar and cream. Lots of warm spices mingle with the frosting like texture. To serve this drink you simply fill a big mug with steamy hot water and a shot of rum. I decided to use Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum after being reintroduced at the MIXED conference. We enjoyed a few cocktails that were laced with this dark rum, which is dark and mysterious, and full of syrupy flavor. The spiciness of the rum goes really well with the creamy egg mixture. It was definitely a good choice! If rum, is not your thing, try bourbon or brandy, both are equally as good.
If you don’t drink or you want to serve this to the little ones, just leave out the alcohol, and try serving it with hot milk. Once the creamy mix starts melting into the hot milk, it creates a delightful hot beverage. Nutmeg and cinnamon begin swirling around your head, and it t is rather intoxicating. When we were kids, our parents would scoop mounds of the fluffy mixture into hot water, and we would literally eat it with a spoon. We felt so grown up.
** this recipe fills a large mixing bowl, which makes many cocktails. Raw eggs MAY contain salmonella bacteria, so look for pasteurized products.
Recipe: Tom and Jerry Cocktail
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream tarter
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmet
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- hot water
- nutmeg for garnish
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the whites along with the cream of tarter until they are a soft meringue.
- Gradually add the superfine sugar.
- Continue beating until a still meringue forms.
- Place the meringue into a large mixing bowl.
- Using the same mixing bowl that you mixed the meringue in, add the yolks and 1 cup of the powdered sugar.
- Beat until light yellow and the consistency of frosting.
- Add the spices. Mix for another 1 minute.
- Folk the yolk mixture into the egg white mixture.
- Using a clean mixing bowl whip the cream with the remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the egg mixture.
- Fill a mug with hot water and 1 ounces of rum.
- Top with a scoop of Tom and Jerry.
- Garnish with a little nutmeg.