I have said it over and over again, we are big Donna Hay fans. Her recipes are fresh, seasonal and very simple. For the current (and the relaunch) round of HHDD, we picked this fresh beef skewer recipe for Chilli Kaffir Lime Beef Skewers.
This is a great recipe to have on hand for those evenings when you want a good meal but don’t want to spend a lot of time making it. I had dinner on the table within 60 minutes. The combination of cool rice noodles and slightly spicy beef is fantastic. The beef is marinated in half of the dressing which was made with fresh lime juice, a little peanut oil and fresh red chilies. Making rice noodles is one of the easiest things …. put them in a bowl, pour over boiling water and let sit for 8 minutes. After they were cooked and drained well (I even patted them dry, just a little), I tossed them with kaffir leaves, cilantro, basil, snowpeas and the left over dressing. This would have been great even on it’s own; but, the caramelized grilled beef skewers were a perfect partner for the cool crisp salad. We loved this recipe!
Now, get out there, pick up the ingredients and join us in this round of HHDD (Hay Hay it’s Donna Day). Get your entries to me by midnight on the 30th of April 2010. All the delicious details can be found here.
Chilli and Kaffir Lime Beef Skewers
*recipe permission from Donna Hay
1 small red chilli, chopped
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
¼ cup (60ml) peanut oil
700g rump steak, cut into pieces-
6 kaffir lime leaves, blanched
150g dried rice vermicelli noodles
¼ cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
100g snow peas (mange tout), sliced and blanched
basil leaves, to serve
Marinade the beef:
- Place the chilli, fish sauce, lime juice and peanut oil in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the steak in a bowl, pour over half the lime marinade and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
To make the noodle salad:
- Place the noodles in a bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 6–8 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Place the noodles, coriander, snow peas and reserved marinade in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue over high heat.
- Thread the steak and lime leaves onto skewers and char-grill or barbecue for 3–4 minutes each side for medium rare or until cooked to your liking.
- Divide the noodle salad among plates, sprinkle with the basil leaves and serve with the skewers.