This is going to be short and sweet. Remember that delicious Beet and Goat Cheese Galette we had the other night? We needed something wonderful to go with the leftovers we had the other evening. I have been craving potato soup. And I love being able to sneak leeks into any dish I possibly can; remember, someone banned them from our house?
This soup is dairy free but still very creamy. The addition of bacon definitely adds a lot of flavor. It was warm and it was delicious!
What is your favorite Potato based soup? What sort of potatoes do you think works best? Do you have a secret family recipe that you like to use?
Recipe: Potato and Leek Soup
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled, chopped into pieces
- 8 baby leeks or 1 large one, clean, chopped into pieces
- 2 pieces of bacon, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- Cook bacon, over low heat, until slightly cooked. Add the leeks. Cook until the bacon is cooked but not over crispy. Put aside about 4 tablespoons for garnish.
- Add the olive oil to the same pan as the bacon fat. Add the potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes over low heat. Just enough time to combine the flavors.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a low boil, lower heat and cook until the potatoes are very soft.
- Slightly mash with a potato masher.
- Season with salt.
- Garnish with the leftover bacon and a sprinkle of paprika.