Guess you could say we are a bit sick of soup every day so we decided to make a nice Aged Black Garlic Risotto with Chanterelle and Oyster Mushrooms for dinner. Now, neither of us consider risotto “healthy” but I do consider my version a bit more since it does not include cheese, don’t worry it is still very creamy!
I have had mushrooms, especially fresh picked chanterelles, on my mind since hearing about Pim’s foraging excursion. Now I was not able to actually “fresh” pick mine but they were still very nice, thanks to Solano Mushrooms. Solano was one of my first stops during our market excursion over the weekend and they were a perfect addition to my basic risotto recipe. In addition to these beautiful mushrooms, I have a couple heads of Black Garlic, from Marx Food, that I have been dying to use. I have used black garlic before, but was equally as excited as the first time, to start creating some new dishes. Ummm, black aged garlic and assorted mushrooms; YUM!
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Black Aged Garlic with Chanterelle and Oyster Mushroom Risotto
- 1 lb assorted mushrooms, cleaned, and sliced
- 4 cloves black aged garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced, do not use shallot that is called for in basic risotto recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 basic risotto recipe * I used the fresh stock we made this weekend in the basic recipe
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large frying pan over low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until caramelized and very fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, over low heat, until they are caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, season with salt.
- Prepare the risotto in the same pan.
- When the risotto is finished add the mushrooms, stir and season if need be.