With the Superbowl only 23 days away, we decided we needed to start thinking about what we would be eating that day. We are tossing around the idea of doing something and now is the best time to try out that list of appetizers, we have been meaning to make. Over the course of the next couple of weeks we will be sharing with you some of our old and new favorite appetizers, that would be a great addition to any Superbowl party. We will be keeping within our Ten in 10 Healthy Challenge, by making recipes such as this one for Meyer Lemon Sumac Hummus.
The first appetizer we have for our Superbowl Healthy Eats Series is this fantastically delicious Meyer Lemon and Sumac Hummus. Hummus is such an easy appetizer and/or snack to make, that it really surprises us that anyone would buy a pre-made one. I took our basic hummus recipe and decided to add a lot of fresh Meyer Lemon juice/zest and Sumac to give it a Middle Eastern flair. It has such a great clean and fresh taste. It was really good the day I made it and it was even better the next day, so feel free to make it at least a day before your event. To keep this recipe healthier, serve it with lots of fresh vegetables or you can make your own pita chips to serve along side.
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rained
- 2 garlic close
- 1 meyer lemon, juice and zest (wash)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoons sumac
- 1 teaspoon zahtar also called Za'atar
- ½ cup olive oil
- maldon salt, to taste
- Add chickpeas to your food processor. Give a whirl to mash.
- Add the garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whirl until mixed together.
- Add the tahini, zahtar, and sumac, give another whirl.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil, mix well.
- Season with salt, to your personal taste. Serve. Eat.