I started making this Roasted Strawberry Sauce a couple years ago, when I had some slightly wrinkly strawberries sitting around. They were so good, that I did not have the heart to toss them out, but I did not want to toss them into my mouth either. So I came up with this fantastic dessert sauce. We love it on Brown Sugar Ice Cream, Mascarpone Ice Cream or plain old Vanilla Bean Ice Cream – those recipes will be coming this summer!
Recipe: Roasted Strawberry Sauce
- 2 pint strawberries, larger ones cut in half, smaller left whole
- 4 tablespoons sugar, prefer raw
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar – optional
- Heat oven to 250.
- Toss strawberries with sugar and vinegar.
- Spread out on a rimmed cookie sheet. Put into the oven and slowly cook until caramelized, about 4 hours.
- Stir them occasionally and make sure they are not sticking or burning.
- Spoon over pound cake or ice cream. Serve. Eat.
- If you are not going to use right away, after roasting, put into a jar with about 1/2 cup simple syrup.