How to add a twist to your traditional ground meat patty? By using ground turkey or chicken and adding a Thai spin to it with lemongrass, chilies, cilantro and mint and serving on a bed of noodles instead of the traditional bun.
It was a long day, in fact it was a long week. We were beat tonight, so beat that we tossed around the idea of takeout, ie …pizza. All we knew on the way home from work was that we were hungry, really hungry and we needed some comfort food. For us comfort is not necessarily what one would consider comfort food, instead it is something GOOD and really bursting with flavor, preferably spicy. Tonight it had to be something quick and easy but, it had to be very flavorful. Where did I turn? Donna Hay!
This recipe is Thai inspired and uses lemongrass, chillies, cilantro and mint as base for the seasonings. I did have to compromise as Bi-Rite did not have ground chicken (okay, now I am contemplating buying the meat grinder for the kitchen aid) and they said they could not grind it. So I used turkey which worked out perfectly. As well they did not have green beans so I used fresh snow peas. I also thought the rice noodles were a bit on the dry side so I tossed them with Sriracha Hot Chilli sauce and some of the hot water from cooking the noodles. This dish was exactly what we were wanting – easy, quick (under 30 minutes) and very flavorful; lemony turkey with a bit of a green spicy taste and very kick butt noodles! Next time I would like to try it with lamb and possibly a zest of lime.
Recipe: Turkey Lemongrass Patties
* adapted from Donna Hay
- Combine 1 lb ground turkey with chopped lemongrass, chopped green chilli, sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Shape into patties and pan fry in a tablespoon of olive oil until cooked through.
- While cooking, prepare rice noodles according to package directions.
- While noodles are cooking I laid a strainer on top of the hot water and blanched snow peas.
- Drain and reserve about a 1/4 cup of water.
- Toss the noodles with 1 tablespoon of Sriracha Hot Chilli Sauce, some of the reserved water (add a tablespoon at a time), mint and cilantro leaves.
- Serve with a patty on top of the noodles and sprinkled with snow peas.