I made detox soup on Sunday and we have been eating it all week as the beginning to our Ten in 10 Program. It is great, as it is loaded with healthy veggies. What I love about this soup, is that as it gets lower and lower in the pot, I can add more stock as well as more carrots, celery, kale, etc…. to continue the process. I usually can keep it around for a good week. If it is not enough to fill you, you can always add a nice salad to go with it.
Recipe: Detox Soup
- 1 leek, cut half, cleaned well, dried and cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 carrots, scrubbed clean, skins on, cut into approx. 1/4″ circles
- 4 celery stalks, cut into medium dice
- 3 small rutabagas, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 8 cups water or veggie stock
- 2 cups pinto beans, I used dried ones that I cooked before hand, used cooking liquids in soup
- 2 bunches of kale, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the leek and garlic and sweat over low heat, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots, celery and the rutabagas. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add the stock, tomato and pinto beans, simmer over low heat at least an hour. The longer, the better the flavor is. About 15 minutes before serving stir in all of the kale. Serve. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Eat.